Recreational Fire Safety
One of our most frequently asked questions is about backyard and recreational fire guidelines. Backyard/recreational fires are allowed when:
- The base of the fire does not exceed three feet in diameter.
- Flames do not exceed two feet in height.
- Fire is contained in a fire ring of noncombustible material.
- Fire ring is located at least 25 feet from any structure.
- Water source is in close proximity.
- Fire is attended until extinguished.
- Burning only clean, dry wood; not treated lumber, leaves, trash, furniture, etc.
- Fire should not produce smoke that causes discomfort to or negatively impacts neighboring properties. If there is discomfort or a negative impact, please call 911.
Watch the video below from Oakdale's fire department on recreational fire safety.