Garden Center/Tent Sales

APPLY NOW: Garden Center/Tent Sales License
This license is now being done via an online licensing process. Visit our online services page to set up your account and begin the licensing process.

The City issues licenses to businesses wishing to conduct garden center or retail tent sales. If planning to sell fireworks in a tent, applicants must also complete a fireworks sales license application.  

Licensing Term

  • Approved selling terms for each applicant are determined based on the dates submitted by the applicant. 
  • Applications must be submitted at least 30 days in advance of the desired start date for sales.

Licensing Process

Once applications for licenses have been received by City staff, the applications are reviewed and reports are presented to City Council for consideration before licenses are issued. Approved licenses will be mailed to the address listed in the application unless other arrangements are made.

Fees and Payment

  • Fees for this license can be found on the fee schedule. 
  • During the application process, an applicant will receive an email to pay online (processing fees apply). Payment can also be submitted via cash or check via mail or in-person at City Hall (1584 Hadley Avenue N) during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM). 
  • The license application fee shall be paid in full before the application for a license shall be accepted. Upon rejection of any application for a license or upon withdrawal of any application before City Council approval, the license fee shall be refunded in full to the applicant except where rejection is for a willful misstatement in the license application. 

Required Submittals

In addition to the standard application, the following items must be submitted with your application: 

  • Certificate of Insurance – Upload a current copy of certificate insurance. 
  • Site Plan – Please upload a scalable site plan demonstrating the following:
    • The placement and size of the garden center or tent sale
    • Parking stalls and drive aisles
    • Evidence of adequate off-street parking
  • Property Owner Information and Consent – Provide the names and addresses of all property owners, and any other person having legal interest in the property. Please upload a document that includes written consent of those individuals and their signatures.
  • State License for Fertilizer Handling – Upload a copy of state license authorizing handling of fertilizer if applicable.
  • Other licenses – Upload copies of proof of any other agency permits or licenses required for operation.

NOTE: You are able to start an application, save progress and return later to an application if needed before submitting.

View City Code on Garden Centers and Retail Tent Sales (PDF)