Right of Way Permits

Use this page to learn more about Right of Way (ROW) work in the City of Oakdale. Companies and contractors desiring to perform work in the ROW must register with the City and complete a permit utilizing the City’s online services platform.
Visit our online services page to set up your account and begin the registration and permit process.


The annual fee for ROW registration is $50. Permit fees vary based on project scope. Please refer to the City Fee Schedule (page 9).


ROW Annual Registration Form

The City requires that utility work within the ROW be performed by a company authorized as a public utility by the MN Public Utilities Commission (MPUC). Entities that own utilities/facilities that will remain in the ROW must complete a registration form annually. 

As part of the registration process, an applicant must complete the application form, which includes the Minnesota Certificate of Compliance for Workers Compensation Law. The following materials must also be uploaded with the application: 

  • Certificate of Insurance or Self-Insurance
  • Certificate of Incorporation (if incorporated)
  • Certificate of Authority from Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (MPUC), if applicable
  • Minnesota Contractor's License (if contractor)


ROW Permit Application

A ROW permit is required for any of the following: 

  • Placement of equipment (i.e. cabinets, pedestals, etc.)
  • Placement of facilities (i.e. cable, gas, electric, fiber optic, etc.)
  • Obstruction of the boulevard of a driving or parking lane

The ROW permit application requires upload of drawings and plans drawn to an engineer's scale, showing relation of the proposed construction to property lines, buildings, curbs, adjacent streets, existing light standards or any other installation that will be affected by the proposed construction.

All ROW work must be done according to Minnesota Public ROW Standards and the City's ROW Requirements. Minnesota Statute 216D.03 outlines the Notice to Excavators and Operators for ROW work.

Any disturbed areas must be back-filled and stabilized (i.e. sodded, mulched and seeded, etc.). Any damaged curb, concrete, or pavement sections must be replaced in-kind according to the original design specs and the Street Restoration Plates (PDF).

View City Code Chapter 20: Right Of Way Management