- Administration Department
- Licenses & Permits
- Massage Therapy & Bodywork
Massage Therapy & Bodywork
The city issues licenses to businesses and therapists wanting to provide massage therapy or bodywork services or to operate a massage therapy or bodywork establishment in Oakdale.
Application Requirements: New License
- Before you apply for a massage or bodywork premises license, please contact the City Planner at 651-730-2720 to ensure the location where you would like to conduct business is eligible for a premises license.
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork License Application (PDF) All business partners must complete an application.
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork Supplemental Form (PDF) Must be completed by applicant’s spouse, officer, person in charge of premises, or any person(s) controlling or owning an interest in excess of five percent.
- Payment to the City of Oakdale - The City offers a quick and easy way to pay your license online. You may also pay by mail or in person with a check or cash. Please refer to the City fee schedule.
Application Requirements: License Renewal
License holders wishing to renew their license must re-apply annually. The license renewal process may take up to four weeks to complete.
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork License Renewal Application (PDF)
- Massage Therapy and Bodywork Supplemental Form (PDF) Must be completed if there has been a change in manager from the most recent license approval.
- Payment made to the City of Oakdale - The City offers a quick and easy way to pay your license online. You may also pay by mail or in person with a check or cash. Please refer to the City fee schedule.
Once a completed application packet has been received by city staff, applicants will undergo a background investigation conducted by the Oakdale Police Department, and a report will be submitted to the City Council. The licensing process may take up to eight weeks for new applicants.
Please note: Beginning in 2023, there have been changes to the background investigation process for this license. Any applicant that has not been through and passed the background investigation process in the previous license term will be subject to the background investigation process for the current term which carries a $375 fee. These background investigations will be processed every other year per individual (meaning not based on the year, but when the individual passed the investigation last). All new applicants (whether main applicant or supplemental applicant) will be subject to the background investigation process the first time they apply and every other year thereafter.
The term for new licenses is October 1 through September 30.
Not all persons and business entities are required to obtain a massage license to practice.
- Practitioners who are supervised by medical professionals licensed by the state to practice medicine, surgery, osteopathy, chiropractic, physical therapy, or podiatry, provided the massage is administered in the regular course of medical treatment.
- Beauty culturists licensed by the state, provided that the massages are limited to the head, hand, neck, and feet.
- Barbers licensed by the state, provided that massages are limited to the head and neck.
- Students participating in an educational massage therapy program at an accredited college providing therapeutic massage therapy under the direct supervision of a licensed massage therapist/bodyworks therapist, or licensed health professional under which massage is within the scope of their practice.